SSMT offers an 750 hour massage therapy program that is designed to prepare you for a fulfilling career as a professional massage therapist. The program emphasizes the knowledge, skills, and attitudes used by the most successful massage therapists.
Create meaningful work that reflects your values. Help people relieve pain and stress, and help them (and you) experience health and wellbeing.
Students come from all over the country for the opportunity to learn and grow here. In 2018-2019 our graduates had a 92% success rate on the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Exam, and an 90% job placement rate. They also overwhelmingly describe their experience at SSMT as transformational.
Our admissions staff has your highest good in mind. Our goal is to help you answer these three questions:
- Is massage therapy a good fit for me?
- Is SSMT a good fit for me?
- If so, when is the right time?
It is always our intention to support you as you explore your possibilities.
By completion of the program, the student will:
- Gain knowledge and master the practical skills of a massage therapist
- Experience working with the general public
- Acquire skills in writing and keeping client/patient records
- Develop the business skills, ethics and attitudes necessary to succeed as a bodyworker
- Be certified in CPR and Basic First Aid
- Be eligible and prepared for the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Exam
- Be eligible for Florida Licensure as a Massage Therapist
Community outreach is a vital part of the program at the Sarasota School of Massage Therapy. The school donates supervisory staff to enable students to participate as volunteers at the Senior Friendship Center, Hospice House, and a variety of charitable events. The school also donates in excess of 10% of its annual net profit to charitable organizations involved in environmental, peace and social justice issues.
Licensing RequirementsFlorida law requires anyone who practices touch therapies for compensation to have a massage therapy license. Candidates for licensure must pass an exam administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) as a requirement for licensure.
SSMT graduates have extremely high pass rates on the MBLEx; in 2018-2019 the pass rate was 92%.
The cost of the exam and the $155 fee for Florida licensure are included in SSMT tuition.
Many other states also use this exam as a requirement for licensure. Students planning to practice in another state may contact the school for information regarding the state in which they are interested in practicing. We will also supply you with telephone numbers for the relevant state agencies.