SSMT offers an 800 hour massage therapy program that is designed to prepare you for a fulfilling career as a professional massage therapist. The program emphasizes the knowledge, skills, and attitudes used by the most successful massage therapists.
Create meaningful work that reflects your values. Help people relieve pain and stress, and help them (and you) experience health and wellbeing.
Students come from all over the country for the opportunity to learn and grow here. In 2015-2016 our graduates had a 98% success rate on the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Exam, and an 89% job placement rate. They also overwhelmingly describe their experience at SSMT as transformational.
Our admissions staff has your highest good in mind. Our goal is to help you answer these three questions:
- Is massage therapy a good fit for me?
- Is SSMT a good fit for me?
- If so, when is the right time?
It is always our intention to support you as you explore your possibilities.
By completion of the program, the student will:
- Gain knowledge and master the practical skills of a massage therapist
- Experience working with the general public
- Acquire skills in writing and keeping client/patient records
- Develop the business skills, ethics and attitudes necessary to succeed as a bodyworker
- Be certified in CPR and Basic First Aid
- Be eligible and prepared for the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Exam
- Be eligible for Florida Licensure as a Massage Therapist
Community outreach is a vital part of the program at the Sarasota School of Massage Therapy. The school donates supervisory staff to enable students to participate as volunteers at the Senior Friendship Center, Hospice House, and a variety of charitable events. The school also donates in excess of 10% of its annual net profit to charitable organizations involved in environmental, peace and social justice issues.
Licensing RequirementsFlorida law requires anyone who practices touch therapies for compensation to have a massage therapy license. Candidates for licensure must pass an exam administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB) as a requirement for licensure.
SSMT graduates have extremely high pass rates on the MBLEx; in 2015-2016 the pass rate was 98%.
The cost of the exam and the $155 fee for Florida licensure are included in SSMT tuition.
Many other states also use this exam as a requirement for licensure. Students planning to practice in another state may contact the school for information regarding the state in which they are interested in practicing. We will also supply you with telephone numbers for the relevant state agencies.
|Name & Standard Occupational Classification||Massage Therapist 31-9011.00|
|U.S. Dept of Labor O*Net||Click for details|
|Job Placement Rate 1||89%|
|On-time Graduation Rate 2||59%|
|Median Title IV Federal Student Loan Debt Incurred 3||$8444|
|Median Private Loan Student Debt Incurred 3||$0|
|Median Institutional Student Loan Debt Incurred 3||$0|
|Tuition, Books & Fees||$13,700|
Federal regulation 34 CFR 668.6 (b) (2) requires educational institutions to disclose this information to prospective students; these rates having been calculated for the period 07/01/2015 to 06/30/2016.
- Rate as reported on the COE annual report submitted December 2016 for the students that graduated between July 2015 and June 2016, as prescribed by the accrediting commission guidelines. Also note that SSMT had a 98% licensure exam pass rate in this period.
- In accordance with federal law, we are reporting on-time graduation rates for this program. The on-time rate reflects those students that had perfect attendance or completed all makeup classes by the scheduled graduation date. The actual completion rate is much higher than the on-time completion rate. Federal law allows students 150% of the program length to complete. The completion rate was 70% within 150% of the scheduled time, as reported to the Council of Occupational Education (COE). Beyond 150% of the scheduled time, students may be required to complete additional coursework or retake exams in order to graduate. Some students do this, and the completion rate continues to climb beyond 150% of the scheduled time.
- Median amount calculated for all students who completed the program between 07/01/2015 and 06/30/2016. Federal regulations require the publication of historical median student loan debt. This information meets those requirements.